The ultimate guide for buying a best Water Purifier
Being the vital resource for all lives, access to pure water is very important. The number of contaminants like Chlorine, Fluorine, microbes, etc. in water are increasing day by day, so having a water purifier in your house has become a necessity today. Wherever your water may come from, it is crucial to consider the TDS (Total Dissolved Salts)
present in the incoming water. TDS is measured in parts per million (ppm). The main constituents of TDS are calcium, nitrates, phosphates, sodium, potassium, chlorine and iron. The TDS level mainly influences the choice of your water filter. A wide range of water purifiers with different technologies are available in the market and it is important to choose the right water purification system based on the source of the drinking water.
UF (Ultra Filtration) Technology - Gravity-based Water Purifier
Different Types of Water Purifying Technologies
- Water purification without electricity
- The only type of water purifier which is certified to remove cysts
- Does not remove the dissolved impurities
- Does not remove viruses
- Disinfection recommended
- Suitable for use with water having low TDS.
UV (Ultraviolet) Technology
- Does not alter water chemically
- Sterilised microbes are not removed from the water
- Does not remove dissolved organics, in-organics or particles
- Fast disinfection procedure
- UV radiations penetrate the microbes' outer cell membrane, pass through the cell body and disrupt its DNA, preventing reproduction.
Activated Carbon Water Purification Technology
- Activated carbon water purifier comprises of charcoal granules, absorbs the pesticides as well as herbicides.
- It works without electricity.
- Activated carbon filter works by removing the harmful chemicals such as chlorine present in water when passing through the carbon granules.
- This improves the taste of water and removes any bad odour.
RO (Reverse Osmosis) Technology
- Most convenient and efficient method
- Effective when TDS rating of water is between 200 and 2000
- Reduces the hardness of water which is caused by an excess of calcium & magnesium salts
- Purifies the water from contamination caused by fluoride and other harmful chemicals like heavy metals, such as arsenic, lead, mercury, etc.
- It works by squeezing the incoming water through a semi-permeable membrane, which is rated at 0.0001 microns.
- This is the only technology capable of desalinating seawater, making it drinkable.
EAT Technology (Electro Adsorption Technology)
- EAT has five advanced stages of water purification which are as follows:
- First Stage - External Prefilter removes solid particles like sand, silica, silt, dirt, and dust present in water and enhances the life of the filter
- Second Stage - Mechanical Filter removes other suspended solids through a sediment mesh
- Third Stage - Electro Adhesion Filter eliminates the impurities which carry a negative charge, removes the disease-causing germs such as bacteria, virus, and cysts.
- Fourth Stage - Ion Exchange, where the activated carbon granules, remove the heavy metals like lead and arsenic
- Fifth Stage - Electro Adsorption removes the harmful chemicals such as chlorine, pesticides, and endotoxins
It is available in both electric and nonelectric variants, and some EDT purifiers also come with storage tanks. This type of purifier is ideal for water which has less than 500 ppm TDS.
Different Types of Water Purifiers
- Non-Electrical With Storage
These water purification units have storage tanks to store water after it has been purified through sediment and activated charcoal filters. They are useful in places where water supply is unreliable.
- Non-Electrical Without Storage
Made up of food-grade plastic, these type of water purifiers are directly fixed to the water tap. They have candle-shaped filter units which consist of a resin filter. They’re UF and Activated Charcoal filters that run without electricity. They can help you to get pure drinking water anywhere, anytime, owing to their portability.
Electric water purifiers need to be connected to the water supply and run on electricity. They use sediment filters and activated water filters along with RO + UV water purification systems
, which need electricity.
- Electrical Without Storage
Electrical water purifying units are also available without storage tanks. These types of units are useful in places which have a steady supply of electricity throughout the year and the quality of water is the same as of those with storage.
- Water Purifiers with In-built Pumps
With the help of built-in pumps, water purifiers can even draw water stored in a vessel, making them perfect for areas with low water pressure.
- Choosing the right water purifier
If you don’t want to dive deep into the technicalities of the different water purification approaches, then you can simply refer to the table given below which will help you to buy the right purifier for your home or office. Here we have listed all the parameters to be evaluated and choose the right water purifier according to your requirements.